Automation is the next big thing and we’re totally on board with it! Taylor Farms has been implementing robotics and innovative technology over the past decade to help our crews with repetitive and labor intensive jobs — like packing boxes and harvesting veggies — and make way for them to unlock their potential in higher skilled jobs. In particular, our automated romaine harvester is changing the way we work at Taylor Farms.
Most recently, Taylor Farms was featured in a WIRED video production — Robots & Us: How Food-Bots Are Changing How We Eat. Watch the feature now:
Taylor Farms’ automated romaine harvester uses a water jet knives to cleanly cut the heads in the field, eliminating the need for harvest employees to cut romaine by hand. Instead of working bent over in the field, crews comfortably ride on the harvester inspecting each head, ensuring only the highest quality lettuce is transported from the field to the plant. The automated harvester has shown improved quality and field yields over the traditional romaine harvester.
“I think we’re always moving down that automation track,” says Mark Borman, President, Taylor Farms California. “There’s a science around agriculture, but there’s a bit of an art to it, as well. But I think in terms of getting rid of the hardest parts of the jobs, I see that continuing to flow.
- September 11, 2017Happy One Year Anniversary to our Stir Fry Kits!
- September 4, 2017Thank You, Team Taylor!
- August 31, 2017Enjoy Your Delicious Healthy Lunch Outside on Eat Outside Day!
- August 31, 2017Announcing our #Snack2School Giveaway!
- August 29, 2017Team Taylor Gives Back This Holiday Season
- August 29, 2017Watch: Sustainability Initiatives at Gonzales Facility Showcased