Automation is the next big thing and we’re totally on board with it! Taylor Farms has been implementing robotics and innovative technology over the past decade to help our crews with repetitive and labor intensive jobs — like packing boxes and harvesting veggies — and make way for them to unlock their potential in higher skilled jobs. In particular, our automated romaine harvester is changing the way we work at Taylor Farms.
Most recently, Taylor Farms was featured in a WIRED video production — Robots & Us: How Food-Bots Are Changing How We Eat. Watch the feature now:
Taylor Farms’ automated romaine harvester uses a water jet knives to cleanly cut the heads in the field, eliminating the need for harvest employees to cut romaine by hand. Instead of working bent over in the field, crews comfortably ride on the harvester inspecting each head, ensuring only the highest quality lettuce is transported from the field to the plant. The automated harvester has shown improved quality and field yields over the traditional romaine harvester.
“I think we’re always moving down that automation track,” says Mark Borman, President, Taylor Farms California. “There’s a science around agriculture, but there’s a bit of an art to it, as well. But I think in terms of getting rid of the hardest parts of the jobs, I see that continuing to flow.
- July 20, 2017Tasty Picnic Salads to Help You Save Time & Stay Healthy this 4th of July!
- July 19, 2017Taylor Farms & Hope Hummus Organic Snack Packs Have Hit West Coast Starbucks Locations
- July 19, 2017Fight Hunger Night at the California Salinas Rodeo
- July 18, 2017Rock Your Ride (& Raise Money) for Tour de Fresh at CYCLEBAR
- July 18, 2017Showcasing Wide Range of Organic Products at Organic Produce Summit
- July 15, 2017Guest Blogger: POPEYE THE SAILOR MAN!